Search This Blog

27/07/2011

Running the Race Set Before You

When I was in elementary school, (yes I know that a long time ago) I had bad asthma, but I absolutely loved running. As I grew older, my asthma got worse and I found cardiovascular activities to be increasingly difficult. In addition to that, I think that I have often used my asthma as an excuse to avoid doing most forms of cardio workout, simply because it was just easier not to have to go through all the effort - the effort required to remain standing and continue breathing. 

Since grade eight, I have loved going to the gym, but it has not been until recently that I have gotten back into running. This was all set in motion by my amazing childhood friend who has never deviated from his love of running. He has taken this love to a new level and started a foundation called Running for Youth, with which he uses his running ability to raise money for various organizations, including BC Children's Hospital and Covenant House Vancouver.

In the spring of this year, he signed me up to do the Vancouver Sun Run. I had no choice but to participate, so I got up early in the morning right after doing a night shift and got ready to go. I decided in advance that I would stick to walking the whole 10 kilometers. As such, I did not wear proper running attire, but instead, wore jeans and a hoodie with my Vancouver Canucks jersey over top (it was game day, after all.) When I got about three kilometers into the race, I decided to try running. I was already very hot with all the layers I had on, but I pushed forward and broke out of my lazy shell of a body, and it felt incredible. I had flash backs of the gravel field at my old elementary school. I was elated. It was all so empowering. My lungs were weak, but every time I had to stop, they would recover within two minutes. I only did end up running for a total of 1.5 kilometers, but I finished the course in one hour and 30 minutes.

This friend of mine is a major inspiration to me in areas that go beyond physical strength, and he has been my whole life. I have always looked up to him and wanted to be like him. When I finished the race, I found him and said, "Guess what!? I ran!" *Insert huge smile here* He kind of looked at me as if to say "Good for you. It's a run. That is what you are supposed to do." I knew that my accomplishment was entirely minuscule in comparison to his time of just over 40 minutes, but I was unwavering in my enthusiasm. I was so proud of myself! My goal is to one day have him be proud of me, too.

Later that day, he gave me a "LIVESTRONG" bracelet, which I have worn every day since. Life can be full of challenges and trials, but every time I look down and see that bracelet on my wrist, I think of this friend of mine who is like a brother to me.  As I am reminded of his strength, it compels me to be even more like him.

Thanks for "listening."


No comments:

Post a Comment