Search This Blog

14/09/2011

Gray Clouds Above. Sweet Life Below.

Fall can be so depressing!  As far as I can remember, fall/winter is actually the time of year when most students drop out of school or commit suicide.  The reason for this is the weather.  Sunshine really does make us happy.  In Canada we have a severe lack of sunshine for about eight months of the year at least, and as such, we have a lack of natural vitamin D which aids in ridding off depression.  
Even though I sometimes despise the LOOK of the fall and how it is so monochromatic with its gloomy gray overtones, I love the feel of fall.  There is just something in the air.  First of all, it is refreshing to feel a nice cool autumn day after experiencing intense heat waves all summer.   Not only that, but in the first week or so there is an excited feeling in the air as all the kids rush back to class.  Each new school year or new semester brings hope of something new, or for some, hope that this year will be better than the last.  Granted, this feeling only lasts for about a week or two as students get into their routines and see that summer is really over now, and they won’t get another break until December.  
As someone who no longer goes to school, I neither feel the excitement or the doldrums associated with the back to school season.  As someone who works the night shift, I rarely even experience the effect of school zones being back in effect when I drive.  
There are other things that I do like about the fall though.  As someone who lives in Canada and is under the cover of cloud for the vast majority of my life, I have to look past the dark clouds and see the good that comes along with fall.  Here are some things that I love about the fall:
  • I am pretty sure I don’t even need to mention it, but Hockey is back!!!! I am going to watch the Canucks Training Camp  at Rogers Arena this weekend.  I am fairly excited as this is the first chance this season for me to wear my Canucks jersey without getting weird looks from people.  For a city that loves their team so much, you think people would be a little bit more open to a girl wearing a Canucks hat or Jersey in the off season.  Come on people!  Show our boys some LOVE!
  • I love when the ground gets covered in fallen leaves.  When I was younger, my friend and I used to collect bags and bags of leaves for her mom’s amazing Halloween display at their house.  All of the other houses in the neighbourhood would be decorated weeks in advance, but she did hers the day of.  She always had something new, so the anticipation was high.  We felt so important to have the job of collecting leaves to put all around the yard.  We would take a few garbage bags each and walk up the hill to our school.  We corralled the leaves into nice big piles to put into the bags, but we never put them in the bags right away.  We would pile them conveniently at the bottom of this one retaining wall, and then we would stand on top of the wall and fall down into them.  Whenever I walk through crisp fallen leaves I think of those days.
  • After the heat of summer, the autumn air is so wonderfully fresh and clear.  It makes me feel like I have a new set of lungs.  Every breath revitalizes my whole body.
  • Call me crazy, but I love the rain.  It may have something to do with having been raised in the lower mainland, but whatever the reason, I don’t care.  The rain falls down and purifies everything.  After a hard rainfall, the trees and fields are ripe with natural aromas, and the skies are clear from horizon to horizon.  It’s wonderful to behold.  Walking in the rain is one of my favourite ways to get things off my mind.  Sometimes when I have something weighing on my heart, I just wish that it would start pouring rain so that I could go outside and just be immersed in the rainfall and let it wash all my worries away.
Even though those dark dreary clouds can be depressing, life isn’t always as bad as it seems.  Sometimes all it takes it for us to take our eyes off the dark clouds and look around at the world we live in, teeming with life all four (two if you live in Canada) seasons of the year.

Thanks for "listening."

No comments:

Post a Comment